Lord above! Today has been pretty full on and is now resulting in one of my jaw attacks probably brought on by too much talking. Maybe the ex husband was right? Nah!!
So cousin round at 10am with her wee one then all five of us head to the soft play or “hell on earth” as I so affectionately call it. They have a recycling policy there with 5 recycling receptacles for customers to dispose of their rubbish. Every time I go I stand for an interminable length of time concentrating on the signage explaining what receptacle is for which recycling item. It is so complicated and confusing that I firstly screw my eyes up trying to read it and look like I’m a sandwich short of a picnic, secondly commence talking to myself out loud which draws unwanted attention and thirdly panic and furiously stuff the whole lot in the one bin and chuck a token straw in another random one in the vein hope of trying to look like I know what I am doing.
So the afternoon sailed by swiftly and my pal Isla came round for a visit. As I was filling her in ( NOT in a violent sense of course) on my last few months an idea struck me. Tell my story using 1980’s song titles as bullet points. Now there are some people that will understand these bullet point meanings very clearly for the rest of you use your imagination. I might even be interested to hear some interpretations so feel free to comment. Anyhow I had fun doing it and in a way it’s been useful. So here goes.
•They Don’t Know – Tracey Ullman
• Safety Dance- Men Without Hats
• Don’t You Forget About Me – Simple Minds
• This Charming Man – The Smiths
• The Whole of the Moon- The Waterboys
• Just What I Always Wanted – Mahri Wilson
• Song to the Siren – This Mortal Coil
• The Passion Lovers- Bauhaus
• The One I Love- REM
• Just Like Honey – The Jesus and Mary Chain
• Don’t Believe the Hype – Public Enemy
• Can’t be Sure – Sundays
• Master of Puppets- Metallica
• Birthday- Sugarcubes
• Tainted Love- Soft Cell
• Land of Make Believe – Bucks Fizz
• Road to Nowhere- Talking Heads
• Fools Gold- The Stone Roses
• Where is my mind? – Pixies
• Crash – The Primatives
• What Have I Done to Deserve This?- Pet shop Boys
• You Made me Realise – My Bloody Valentine
• Don’t Talk to me About Love – Altered Images
• Being Boiled – Human League
• Mercy Seat- Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
• Fade to Grey – Visage
• Paid in full – Rakim
• Push it – Salt N’ Pepa
• She bangs the drum – Stone Roses
• Back to Life – Soul II Soul
• Hallelujah – Happy Mondays
Bloody Hell!! I shall end with a rhyming couplet:
Eleven days gone and I’m alcohol free.
I’m beginning to feel pretty proud of me.
Nighty night x